Medisave Claim for Dental
What is Medisave?
Good oral health is essential for overall wellness. While dental bills can run high, Medisave, a national medical savings scheme in Singapore, can help you manage the costs of dental care. By setting aside part of your monthly income, which you can subsequently claim to cover your own or your approved dependents’ medical fees, Medisave minimises your out-of-pocket expenses.
Eligibility for Using Medisave for Dental
To be eligible for Medisave claims, you must:
- Be a Singapore Citizen and Permanent Resident (PR).
- Have an active Medisave account with sufficient funds.
- Receive your dental treatment at a Medisave-approved clinic.
- Submit proper documentation, such as:
- Your NRIC for verification.
- Medical records, such as the finalised dental bill and healthcare payments.
- Claims statement or Medisave transaction statement.
Additionally, it should also be noted that:
- Your dental treatment must be medically necessary, and claims for cosmetic procedures are not accepted.
- Age-related rules may apply to some treatments.
- There are withdrawal caps for different procedures to prevent fund depletion.
- You can use your Medisave to pay for the dental fees incurred by you or your immediate family member, including your spouse, children, parents, siblings and grandparents. Apart from your siblings and grandparents, who must be Singaporean or PR, other family members can be of any nationality.
Dental Procedures Covered by Medisave
Medisave primarily covers dental surgeries, and some of these include:
- Dental Implant Surgery: Dental implants replace teeth lost due to injury, decay, or other issues, restoring your dental function and aesthetics.
- Surgical Wisdom Tooth Extractions: This treatment prevents your impacted molars from causing complications like pain, infection, and damage to adjacent teeth.
Other treatments eligible for claims include gum surgery, bone or gum grafting, sinus lift, crown lengthening and the surgical removal of retained roots or fractured teeth.
Dental Procedures Not Covered by Medisave
While Medisave provides coverage for various dental procedures, claims do not apply to the treatments below:
- Crowns and bridges
- Simple tooth extraction
- Teeth scaling and polishing
- Braces or aligners
- Non-surgical root canal treatment
How to Utilise Medisave for Dental Procedures
Unsure of how to file a Medisave claim for your dental procedure? Fret not. Guidance will be provided every step of the way:
1. Appointment Booking
When you schedule your appointment, your dental clinic will inform you whether your treatment is eligible for Medisave claims.
2. Initial Consultation
On the day of your consultation, you must complete a Medical Claims Authorisation Form (MCAF) before the dental treatment if you intend to use your Medisave. You must also provide your or your immediate family member’s NRIC for verification.
To confirm that you have enough Medisave funds, you’ll have to access your Singpass account or show a copy of your Medisave Statement of Account. The dental clinic will file for the claim on your behalf and provide you with a Medisave Claims Statement when the payment is processed.
Understanding Your Medisave Claims for Dental Procedures
The amount you can claim from Medisave for dental treatments varies based on the complexity and type of the procedure:
Maximum Claim Amount
Dental Implant Insertion
Up to $1,250/tooth
Dental Implant Removal
Up to $750/tooth
Wisdom Tooth Surgery (Single Tooth)
Up to $1,250
Wisdom Tooth Surgery (2 to 3 Teeth)
Up to $2,150
Guided Bone Regeneration
Up to $1,250
Up to $650
Sinus Lifting Surgery
Up to $1,550
Up to $300
For instance, the cost of wisdom tooth surgery at TWC Dental ranges from $650 to $1,250. With Medisave coverage, you could potentially undergo this surgery without any out-of-pocket expenses.
Frequently Asked Questions on Medisave Dental Claims
No, not all dental procedures are eligible for Medisave claims. Medisave primarily covers surgical dental treatments, like surgical wisdom tooth extractions and dental implant surgeries. Routine procedures such as scaling and braces are excluded from the coverage. Your dental clinic will be able to advise you further during appointment booking.
Only dental clinics participating in the Medisave scheme can process your claims. As such, patients are advised to check with their chosen dental clinic in Singapore before receiving treatment. For further information about using your Medisave funds for dental procedures, speak to our team at TWC Implant & Dental Centre today.